Proud Parents

I am a happy wife with a loving husband. I have three adorable, sweet, and energetic children. Our intention with each day is to serve the Lord. Our blessings are numerous.

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Cousins

This week we have my nephew. He and my son are both five. Although, they are very different from one another, they are extremely close friends. It has been so fun through the years to watch their playing turn to friendship. My nephew is going to kindergarten in the fall, but my son will not. So we wanted to get them together one last time before their days are ruled by the school calendar. We decided to wait a year for Evan to start kindergarten. I hated to make the decision. We went back and forth for almost a year, struggling over many valid points. We made the decision when he was three, but now that the time has come that he could go, I'm not at peace with the choice we made. I fear that since we are holding him back, the close relationship Evan has with both his 5 year old cousins will disappear because of the separation of a grade. The thought of this really makes me sad, I tear up as I write this. That reason might not make sense to anyone else, but it's a very saddening thought for me.

Then again, I would not be at peace if we had decided to send him as a very young 5 year old. I would fear his lacking self-control would be a distraction to he and his class mates. We want to make the best decisions for him, but it is so hard - so stinking hard.

So for now, I will help Evan and his cousin have a great week. And I will pray for peace.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger Procters said…

    I know exactly how you feel! We have made the same decision re: our 5 year old Cason. I really do feel we have made the best decision for him to wait a year. However, I can not help but have a few doubts as school draws near.
    God will take care of our little men. That I am sure of.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    I rarely comment on blogs...but read quite a few of them. I had to comment on this one though, to share my similiar experience & hopefully ease your mind.

    We obviously are not starting Dylan either, so he & Evan will be starting the same year & enjoy eachother for one more year at YCW! =)

    Cameron & Dylan both have cousins the same ages as they are. Different sexes, but same ages. Cameron is about 7 months older than her cousin, so she started school first. It has made NO difference to them. They are still JUST as close as they have ever been. My sister in law & I worried the exact same thing as you, and now look back & laugh at worrying about it! The kids never even talk about it...and it's not an issue with them at all.

    On another note...we started Cameron at 6 as well. Her birthday is Aug.1st...which meant she would have barely been 5 by the time school started. We just wanted her to have another year to mature....and it was the best decision we ever made for her. That's why it was a no brainer to start Dylan at 6 as well. I promise you will not regret your decision, and will be glad you waited.

    Hope this has helped ease your mind a little. =)

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Joley said…

    Julie~ I think y'all have made a wise decision on waiting to put Evan in Kindergarten for one more year. As a teacher you could always tell the younger kids (especially boys) from the older ones in a class. It didn't matter if it was Kindergarten, 3rd grade or 5th grade. Age makes a difference. While Evan is way above many other kids his age as far as his intelligence is concerned (that is not the biased Aunt in me talking, it is the teacher in me), you would have always wondered about the maturity issue. So here is a pat on the back for a hard decision that I believe you will not regret.

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Erica said…

    You and Trey are wonderful parents so I am sure that you have made the right decision. Evan will do great and I am sure his bond with his cousins will remain as strong as ever. I will be praying for you to have peace with your decision:)

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger The Walters' Family said…

    It is so hard. I'm filled with questions, too. Here in Illinois, Carlie starts school August 13th. She turns 5 literally the day before. Now Ellie has an August birthday. If it weren't for her attending a Christian school, I would be really nervous.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home