Proud Parents

I am a happy wife with a loving husband. I have three adorable, sweet, and energetic children. Our intention with each day is to serve the Lord. Our blessings are numerous.

Friday, July 17, 2009

What would you do?

I had been given a gift certificate to a nice nail salon in town. I won't name the salon because I didn't have a good experience. Like I said, I had a gift certificate. I was going to get a pedicure, but last minute decided to get a massage. I was so excited. I went to massage therapy school in 1999. Since then, I have only had one massage, and it was not good. I was going in with low expectations. I figured as long as her nails were short and she didn't torture me how bad could it be?? As a massage therapy graduate I know some basics:

Keep the person as drapped or covered as possible
Keep finger nails short
Perform each motion slowly, repeating 3 times
What is done on one side of the body is repeated on the other side
Stay away from the back of the knee & the spine

Well she did not learn these basics.

The girl spoke about 10 words of english. She threw back the blanket that was covering me and slapped oil over me a few times. Then started moving her hands as fast as she could all around. My skin was burning! Her finger nails were scrapping me with every movement. Her movements were random. She seemed to repeat the most painful things over and over. She kept rubbing up and down my spine - it hurt so bad!! I was trying to justify what she was doing thinking she was doing some crazy asian massage that was world's apart from swedish massage. But the more she did, the more I don't think she went through real training at all. There were times I wanted to scream STOP! But I kept hoping there might be something good coming.

Other times I thought how I did not need to pay for this. This was a mild form of torture and I wasn't paying for it. I figured when it was time to pay I would ask what kind of massage that was, or where she got her license. That should start the conversation of how I was in pain or at best uncomfortable most of the massage.

There was a moment of relief when she used hot rocks. That was very nice, would have been nicer if once again, her fingernails weren't razor blades. But the hot rocks were very nice. I would love to try that with a good therapist.

To end the massage she was trying to work on my neck. She started rubbing my caroid artery really fast up and down. Nursing school flash backs popped up. Only a heart doctor is allowed to do this! What in the world! I did shout, and grabbed her hand to make her stop.

Even though I had bold thought's, I wasn't bold at payment time. I handed over the gift card. I did not tip. Which really is bold for me. I chickened out saying anything cause I felt like the language barrier was going to make it a difficult conversation. I figure I might write into them about my experience. The cost was $70. I'd say 10 of the 60 minutes were good. What would you do?

1 Comments:

  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Oh, poor Julie and you so deserve a good massage! I want to know where it was so I will never ever give them any business. You could also file a report with the BBB and/or the licensing board - especially if she could hurt someone.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home